This low power image shows an exuberant growth of small densely packed glands.
The back-to-back growth of glands is striking.
The closely approximated glands can contain secretions in the lumens. The glands have a two-cell layer composed of a myoepithelial layer and an epithelial layer.
Tubular adenoma is an unusual variant of fibroadenoma. They are reminiscent of the pericanalicular pattern of fibroadenomas (stroma surrounding rounded glandular structures) except that in this variant, there is a florid growth of tubules and a scant amount of stroma. The tubules consist of the normal two-cell layer (an epithelial cell layer and the supporting myoepithelial cells underneath).
90% of fibroadenomas are of the adult type and the remaining 10% consists of the juvenile type and unusual variants such as tubular adenoma.1
Presents as a mobile circumscribed painless mass, just like the conventional type of fibroadenomas.
Excellent. Same as conventional fibroadenomas.
1 Rosen PP. Rosen's Breast Pathology. 3rd Ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2009:191–2.