Path Image

Case 1, image 1: This is a suicidical ingestion of ethylene glycol by a 27 year old man. Fan-shaped crystals are seen within renal tubules.

Case 2, image 1: This 21-year-old man died of ethylene glycol toxicity.

Case 2, image 2: Numerous intratubular birefringent crystals can be appreciated.


Ethylene glycol is an organic compound commonly found in antifreeze. It is toxic to the brain, heart and kidneys, where it causes the formation of calcium oxalate crystals.

Last updated: 2013-10-21
For questions, comments or feedback on this case: